Olá, Visitante. Por favor entre ou registe-se se ainda não for membro.

Entrar com nome de utilizador, password e duração da sessão

Autor Tópico: A mão invisível dos arquitectos do euro  (Lida 33149 vezes)

hermes

• Global Moderator
    • Ver Perfil
Re:A mão invisível dos arqitectos do euro
« Responder #20 em: 2012-09-03 17:50:40 »
Cronologia abreviada do euro

1978 April 8: At EC summit, French President Valery Giscard d’Estaing and German Chancellor Helmut Schmidt propose establishment of European Monetary System.

1979 March 13: Establishment of European Monetary System and European Currency Unit. Eight currencies -- the Belgian and Luxembourg francs, French franc, deutsche mark, Danish krone, Dutch guilder, Italian lira and Irish pound -- take part in the exchange-rate mechanism limiting currency fluctuations.

1989 April: Committee chaired by EC President Jacques Delors makes the case for a single currency and European Central Bank. Intergovernmental conference to negotiate revisions to European Community treaties starts a year later.

1991 Dec. 10: Meeting in Maastricht, the Netherlands, EC leaders approve Treaty on European Union calling for closer political ties and formation of single currency by 1999 among countries that meet economic convergence targets. The U.K. secures the right to opt out.

1994 Jan. 1: Stage two of monetary union process begins with establishment of European Monetary Institute, the forerunner of the European Central Bank, in Frankfurt. Alexandre Lamfalussy of Belgium is the EMI’s first president.

1995 Dec. 15: EU leaders agree to call the new currency the “euro.” Meeting in Madrid, they also agree on three-year phase-in of monetary union from locking of exchange rates in 1999 to circulation of euro banknotes in 2002.

1998 March 25: European Commission declares 11 countries -- Germany, France, Italy, Belgium, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Austria, Portugal, Spain, Ireland and Finland -- eligible for monetary union. The EMI endorses launch of euro, while warning several countries to step up debt-reduction efforts.

1998 May 3: EU heads of state and government vote unanimously to admit 11 countries to monetary union on Jan. 1, 1999. Duisenberg is appointed to eight-year term as ECB president, but agrees to step down early to make way for Trichet. Finance ministers agree to base euro conversion on current bilateral central rates in the exchange-rate mechanism.

1999 Jan. 1: Euro established with 11 founding members.

Source: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-12-12/euro-timeline-from-bretton-woods-agreement-in-1944-to-eu-fiscal-compact-.html
"Everyone knows where we have been. Let's see where we are going." – Another

hermes

• Global Moderator
    • Ver Perfil
« Responder #21 em: 2012-09-03 19:10:23 »
Esta mensagem poderá parecer fora do sítio, mas esperem pela próxima para perceberem o fio condutor.

After Creating Dollar Exclusion Zones In Asia And South America, China Set To Corner Africa Next

by Tyler Durden
on 07/15/2012 13:11 -0400

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/after-creating-dollar-exclusion-zones-asia-and-south-america-china-set-corner-africa-next

By now it really, really should be obvious. While the insolvent "developed world" is furiously fighting over who gets to pay the bill for 30 years of unsustainable debt accumulation and how to pretend that the modern 'crony capitalist for some and communist for others' system isn't one flap of a butterfly's wings away from full on collapse mode, China is slowly taking over the world's real assets. As a reminder: here is a smattering of our headlines on the topic from the last year: "World's Second (China) And Third Largest (Japan) Economies To Bypass Dollar, Engage In Direct Currency Trade", "China, Russia Drop Dollar In Bilateral Trade", "China And Iran To Bypass Dollar, Plan Oil Barter System", "India and Japan sign new $15bn currency swap agreement", "Iran, Russia Replace Dollar With Rial, Ruble in Trade, Fars Says", "India Joins Asian Dollar Exclusion Zone, Will Transact With Iran In Rupees", 'The USD Trap Is Closing: Dollar Exclusion Zone Crosses The Pacific As Brazil Signs China Currency Swap", and finally, "Chile Is Latest Country To Launch Renminbi Swaps And Settlement", we now get the inevitable: "Central bank pledges financial push in Africa." To summarize: first Asia, next Latin America, and now Africa.

Yep: the Yuan may not be the reserve currency by default, but at this rate China will have bilateral, read USD-bypassing relations, with all countries in Asia, South America and shortly Africa (where none other than Goldman Sachs has been pushing harder than anyone). Once the entire world is trading in CNY, it will be merely a matter of flipping the switch and all those fancy three-letter economic theories that explain why the uber-welfare state works just becayse the US can print an infinity+1 in debt, will all suddenly find themselves completely and totally bidless.

From China Daily:

China is to promote the yuan's use in settling trade and investment with Africa, and encourage the more active development of Chinese financial institutions across the continent, a senior central bank official said on Friday.

Li Dongrong, assistant governor of the People's Bank of China, said Africa has the capability of becoming a new hub of international capital flow, and the yuan's use there should be further improved in accordance with rising demand for the currency there.

"We will continue to encourage domestic financial institutions to increase their presence and business across the continent," Li told delegates at the Forum on China-Africa Financial Cooperation in Beijing, adding that the cooperation potential between the two sides is huge, as Africa's economy continues to take off.

According to Li, yuan-denominated settlement between China and some African countries has already started, with 4.3 billion yuan ($156.5 million) worth of settlement made with South Africa and 2.3 trillion yuan with Mauritius, for example.

The popularity of using the yuan has been increasing in Africa, and more central banks are considering including the currency in their reserve portfolios, reported various governors of African central banks at the forum.

For China, Ghana is not Spain. It is far, far more valuable.

Millison Narh, second deputy governor of the Bank of Ghana, said the bank's board of directors has decided to use the yuan as part of its settlement and reserve currencies in January, but has yet to finalise details with the People's Bank of China

"We have looked at the currency rate risk management of the reserve portfolio. I think the yuan has performed very well, supported by the huge international reserves of China. It makes sense to use the yuan as both the settlement currency and the reserve currency."

More African central banks will make similar decisions, and in five years about 20 percent of African central banks' foreign reserve portfolio would be yuan assets, he said.

So is Zambia:

Michael Gondwe, governor of the Bank of Zambia, added that his country is yet to decide on including the yuan in its foreign reserve assets, but it is expecting increased usage of it to settle trade between China and Zambia.

Franklin Kennedy, a non-executive director of the African Export-Import Bank, said he believed using the yuan on the continent was "a natural evolvement - it has to happen", and expects more African central banks to include the currency in their foreign reserve portfolios.

Of course the French, who are not used to being snubbed in what is rapidly becoming a second Congress of Berlin, only this time one without any European participation, are not very happy:

One trade finance manager at Societe Generale (China) Ltd, who declined to be named, said he has seen little demand among traders to settle deals in yuan, because there is no sound channel to make investment or purchases in yuan after holding the currency.

As for the truth:

Babacar Ndiaye, the former president of the African Development Bank, said he saw "no reason" why traders would refuse to settle transactions in yuan "when the trade flow increases" between China and Africa.

"It is logical that very soon more and more central banks of Africa will follow Nigeria to include the yuan into their reserves," he said

He added at present it is just the beginning, and central banks would also prefer to buy treasury bonds from China in the future if possible.

But... but... if the whole world suddenly realizes that the CNY is the defacto reserve currency and "would also prefer to buy treasury bonds from China in the future if possible"... who does that leave as natural buyers for US paper? Aside from the Fed of course...

hermes

• Global Moderator
    • Ver Perfil
« Responder #22 em: 2012-09-03 19:30:11 »
Depois dos europeus terem sustentado activamente o nível de vida americano de 1980 a 1999 para manter o gigante adormecido durante a criação do euro, entre 2001 e 2011 os chineses chegaram a barriga ao balcão para potenciarem as sua industrialização e criarem a sua própria moeda regional. Agora que a China também deixou de pagar o tributo, segue-se a consequência óbvia, se bem que com 10 anos de atraso.

Why the US Dollar will Hyperinflate

by Stuart Bishop

http://www.dollarvigilante.com/blog/2012/6/4/why-the-us-dollar-will-hyperinflate.html

Imagine a scenario. One fine morning you turn on the television, and all the channels are preoccupied with an imminent speech from the president of the United States. People are excited, as the supposed biggest pop star in the world walks to the podium to make his speech. Maybe he is finally going to solve the financial crisis. Maybe he is going to follow the sage advice of Paul Krugman and announce another massive increase in spending, and this time it will be enough for these economic green shoots to turn into solid oak trees, built to last for generations.

He finally arrives on the stage, looks calmly at his teleprompter and starts to read out aloud in his own unique style:

’Citizens of America, I address you today to give you an honest appraisal of our financial situation. We are broke. We cannot afford to pay the promises we have made to people. We owe $16 trillion to our creditors, and our government is not in a position to pay this back. We have according to some estimates $75 trillion in unfunded future liabilities.

To this end, I have just finished speaking to the Chinese leadership and explained our problem to them. Unfortunately they have decided not to continue to support our ongoing trade deficit by recycling the excess dollars we print and give to them for physical goods into purchases of US government bonds. All the other creditor nations of the world have informed my team of financial advisors this morning that they intend to do the same. To compound matters, they have decided to stop using dollar currency pegs, which in simple terms means all the inflation we used to be able to export to them via forcing them to absorb and hold printed dollars as reserves is now going to return to us faster via increased prices. If we continue down this path, the trade deficit will widen even further, and we will have to print even more money to purchase fewer physical goods. This increase in the money supply would decimate the savings of many of you that voted for me, the middle class, and only nominally save the asset values of the wealthiest. As a champion of the middle class I cannot allow that to happen.

In practical terms, this means every promise that I made to you in my campaigns cannot be met. Obamacare, forget about it. Social security for retiree’s is not going to happen. Expect to work more hours for less pay, if you are lucky enough to even have a job. The savings for social security were spent decades ago. Medicare and Medicaid is also going to be completely abolished. Our military is completely unsustainable. Just the same as all the fancy military equipment we buy and all our bases in countries all over the world. We need to cut this back dramatically. These soldiers will be made unemployed and will have to find work in the private sector. The world will now need to police itself.

Your government, led by me has a spending addiction, and like any other addict needs it’s ’fix’. Unfortunately to sustain our government spending ’fix’ Federal Reserve President Ben Bernanke would need to continue to print more dollars. He has simply refused, suggesting we check the whole federal government into rehab. I understand and accept his refusal to hyper print the currency and will use an executive order to tell congress not to pass any laws forcing the Federal Reserve into printing more money to pay for our ballooning expenses.

Finally, I would like to say to everyone watching this, change really has come to America’

I hope you could read between the intentional sarcasm there and grasp the bigger point. At some point in the near future, the United States and its government is going to have to voluntarily or be forced by the market to face its spending problem. The United States government is the most indebted government in the history of mankind. It owes almost $16 trillion. It has unfunded liabilities estimated by many at $75 trillion and by some at over $110 trillion. It has a spending problem, where roughly $3.7 trillion dollars are spent, and $2.3 trillion dollars are received in taxes.  In this context, the above speech is a near total impossibility for Obama or any other future US president to make. Neither is any Congressman, Senator or significant politician going to demand this. Maybe a wild card Ron Paul presidential election victory could make this possible. Even then I doubt it. The cuts required and the immediate pain that would be imposed would be so severe, that this would be a non starter. Enough people are dependent enough on the government to come out ’en masse’ to block any attempt at electing Ron Paul. This alone is the strongest reason I anticipate a major hyperinflation of the US dollar within the next few years.

So to argue that anything other than a full blown hyperinflation is coming to the United States, you would need to argue one of two things. The US Government consumption machine will stop living beyond its means by choice. A full default on an entire generation of people that can all vote for more spending when threatened with lower living standards. Think ‘occupy wall street’ on steroids when you think of this. Alternatively you can argue that someone is going to be willing to buy US government debt as its deficit expands into eternity. I don’t see it, but am open to someone trying to make a logical case in the comments that they believe that this $1.4 trillion gap, with a $500 - $600 billion trade deficit will be bridged by a US cut in spending or by foreigners starting to fully purchase US government debt again.

Allow me to add a little historical background to this story. The story of the US dollar being the world reserve currency starts back in 1922, when after an international conference in Genoa, the world decided that using only gold as central bank reserves was too restrictive on central bankers. The solution was the addition of US Dollars and UK Pounds as additional reserves central bank reserves. This has through various forms and other changes in the world financial system have led us to where we are today. A hugely bloated fiat currency reserve system, struggling to maintain its store of value function to the world. In other words, a world forced to save in other peoples exponentially growing debt, hoping the counterparty never defaults. For a decent, if a little US centric overview of the evolution of the monetary system check out Jim Rickards great book Currency Wars.

The US was never in position to merely take this exorbitant privilege it has received. Control of the world reserve currency is something they have been given. Anyone that doubts this merely needs to look at who have been the main purchasers of the government debt of the United States. Do you really believe that these countries ever expect to able to use these dollar reserves it holds for anything? If any large holder of US debt were to dump them, it would quickly bring on the end of the world dollar reserve and all the fiscal problems would just happen almost immediately, as the dollar is repudiated all around the world. It is like the world is stuck playing a game of chicken, the cost of not blinking is giving away free stuff to Uncle Sam. Who blinks first?

This set of circumstances has allowed the US to live above its means during much of the last century. The dollar world reserve system affords the US a standard of living it could never maintain were it not for the political and structural support from other nations. Mainly from the European countries from 1980-1999 and China since roughly 2001. This support takes several forms. Primarily the deficit of the US is recycled by other countries back into United States government debt. Furthermore other countries, as they receive these dollars print more local currency to match the dollar holdings. The inflation that would return to the US from running a deficit never actually returns to the US. A pain free deficit so to speak. If only my credit card worked like that (I wish). Imagine this scenario. My name is Uncle Sam. I spend $500 billion in 2011, I don’t pay my bill. My credit card company turns to me and says that I have a $500 billion credit limit for the next year. So the next year I spend another $500 billion without consequences. This cycle continues, with the debt increasing exponentially. The only difference between me and Uncle Sam in my scenario, is that Uncle Sam gets to set his own rate of interest. Unsurprisingly, he chooses close to zero to let the party go on a little longer. This is largely responsible for the addiction of the US Government and the US people have to free stuff (paid for by paper dollars) from the rest of the world, as well explained by the Triffin Dilemma.

Having to give the US free stuff presents a real structural problem to the rest of the world too. As the US gets to exchange printed US dollars for real tangible things, the peoples of the recipient countries have to accept a consequently lower standard of living in order to support it. A tax to support Uncle Sam so to speak. A quick note – Americans say foreigners hate them for their freedom! Maybe more like they hate giving you free stuff and working for free.

At the same time global trade requires a currency which can be exchanged quickly to complete digital transactions in. In currency terms a compatible global medium of exchange and unit of account. This is a catch 22 for many of the largest exporting countries in the world. Exchange real tangible physical goods and services for paper promises and support the status quo, or end the existing currency arrangement by refusing to honour and support the US dollar as a trading unit and store of value any more.

Changes in economic systems are traumatic periods of time, and the largest surplus countries like Russia, China, Saudi Arabia and some of the Gulf States fear the inevitable upheaval that will accompany any switch from a dollar reserve system to something new. The power to pull the trigger on the dollar is a power that has consequences. This upheaval can equal revolutions and threaten the very existence of these governments, so they have good reason to be concerned. Given the political nature of currency management and that all politicans are liars, I find it better to discuss who is providing the support for the US deficit by purchasing the US debt. Sometimes actions speak louder than words.

Following the US Government debt trail since 2009 shows, the largest purchaser has been the Federal Reserve. Some other surprise countries have been purchasing over the last 12 months, including world economic powerhouses like Luxemburg, Belguim and (two lost decades) Japan. It seems like China and the european economic powers are flat or declining.  This means that unless another credible long term dollar support enters the arena , the tangible dollar support provided by surplus countries is fading away. In the face of this, I expect Ben Bernanke to have to fully monetise the US Government debt in the coming years. When he is does, the inflation that is exported by dollar convertibility will finally reach home, and this will likely be enough to send the dollar hyper as the US government cannot stop spending.

So as noted above. The US faces some choices. Stop spending and balance the budget soon, or watch the deficit grow to such an extent that the dollar loses any possible semblance of crediblity in the world. The former is politically impossible as discussed above. More than impossible, I am sitting and thinking about how it could be enacted and it is a beyond unthinkable political u-turn from the political elites. The latter is happening already, the direction is very clear. Just wait for Helicopter Ben to rev up his chopper and nominally save everything and anything that needs a bail out, and for all this inflation to return to the US via US debt monetisation and broken currency pegs.

Finally, as the TDV rightly champions on a daily basis, you don’t want to be in the USSA when this goes down. The timing of it all, who knows and who really cares? Timing is a political decision made by different bureaucrats sat around the world trying to judge how they can benefit/survive it all. In any case, I would rather be decades too early than a moment too late in my preparations. Timing is a mugs game anyway. Like investing in Facebook stock.

The real question any vigilante should want to know is what is coming next... I say the Euro, I’ll write something explaining the reasons why this could work in the next few weeks, if the TDV team want to publish it.

hermes

• Global Moderator
    • Ver Perfil
« Responder #23 em: 2012-10-02 18:42:13 »
Toda a gente sabe onde estivemos, vejamos para onde vamos!

A seguinte trilogia de artigos do Martin Sibileau apresenta um mapa plausível.

Todavia o autor não olhou com atenção para o que estava no balanço do BCE. O balanço do BCE não é um conjunto vazio, como ele o representou inicialmente:

Vejamos o que o BCE realmente tem nas suas reservas, olhem com especial atenção o primeiro item dos assets:

Como o ouro valoriza com as espectativas inflacionistas, tal expande os assets do BCE, bem como os dos Bancos Centrais do Eurogrupo, logo não é assim tão preocupante que o diferencial das taxas de juro seja negativo para o BCE como os artigos levam a supor. Por outro lado, pelo que os PIIGS estão a berrar, os orçamentos destes de certeza que têm de estar a ficar mais equilibrados.

Seguiremos com atenção a evolução deste gráfico:

Na minha opinião, a única falha do Martin Sibileau é não reparar que a Europa não é o mundo anglo-saxónico!  :D

É que o BCE / Eurogrupo têm a faca e o queijo na mão [controlam a política monetária e controlam o ouro]. Já nos EUA e UK, os Bancos Centrais têm a faca [controlam a política monetária] e o Tesouro dos respectivos governos têm o queijo na mão [controlam o ouro], logo o mais provável é que os respectivos governos comam o queijo.

Um sistema monetário baseado em reservas de ouro cotadas a preço de mercado é superior aos padrões ouro clássicos com câmbio fixo, pois assim os Bancos Centrais têm a liberdade de valorizarem / desvalorizarem a sua moeda quando estes quiserem vendendo / comprando ouro e não quando convém aos gold bugs, pois a janela do ouro está fechada de vez. Melhor ainda, um sistema monetário baseado em reservas de ouro cotadas a preço de mercado tem a vantagem de reduzir o alcance de políticas beggar thy neighbor dos países concorrentes, pois a quantidade de ouro que um Banco Central tem à sua disposição é finita.

hermes

• Global Moderator
    • Ver Perfil
« Responder #24 em: 2012-10-02 18:42:50 »
How Draghi opened the door to hyperinflation and denied the Fed an exit strategy

By: Martin Sibileau
Published on September 10th 2012

http://sibileau.com/martin/2012/09/10/why-draghi-opened-the-door-to-hyperinflation-and-denied-the-fed-an-exit-strategy/

We finally heard the intentions of Mr. Draghi, President of the European Central Bank (“ECB”). We only need to know the conditions Germany’s Verfassungsgericht will impose on September 12th. We believe they will be relevant.

On Thursday, Draghi told us he intends (1) to purchase sovereign debt in the secondary market, (2) that before he does so, the issuing country must submit to certain conditions within a fiscal adjustment program, (3) that when he finally buys the debt, he will buy any debt (new or outstanding) with a maturity lower than three years, (4) that after buying it, he will sterilize the transaction, (5) that the collateral pledged so far for liquidity lines will not be subject to minimum credit ratings any longer, (6) that the ECB will accept to rank pari-passu with other creditors going forward, and (7) that the Securities Market Programme will be terminated, with the purchased debt held until maturity. According to Mr. Draghi (but not toGermany), buying debt with a tenor lower than three years does not constitute government financing. The number three, it seems, is a magical number.

We will mince no words: Mr. Draghi has opened the door to hyperinflation. There will probably not be hyperinflation because Germanywould leave the Euro zone first, but the door is open and we will explain why. To avoid this outcome, assuming that in this context the Eurozone will continue to show fiscal deficits, we will also show that it is critical that the Fed does not raise interest rates. This can only be extremely bullish of precious metals and commodities in the long run. In the short-run, we will have to face the usual manipulations in the precious metals markets and everyone will seek to front run the European Central Bank, playing the sovereign yield curve and being long banks’ stocks. If in the short-run, the ECB is the lender of last resort, in the long run, it may become the borrower of first resort!

The policy of the ECB resembles that which the central bank of Argentinaadopted in April of 1977, which included sterilization via issuance of debt. This policy would result in the first episode of high inflation eight years later, in 1985 and generalized hyperinflation in 1989. Indeed, Argentina’s hyperinflation was not caused by the primary fiscal deficit of the government, but by the quasi-fiscal deficit suffered by its central bank. We will not elaborate on a comparison today, but will simply show how the Euro zone can end up in the same situation. To those interested in Argentina as a case study, we recommend this link (refer section II.2 “Cuasifiscal Expenditures”, page 13 of the document)

Mechanics of the sterilization

In the chart below, we describe what we think Draghi has in mind, when he refers to sterilization. In stage 1, the governments whose debt will be bought by the ECB (EU governments) issue their bonds (sov bonds, a liability), which is purchased by the Euro zone banks (EU banks). These bonds will be an asset to the banks, which will in exchange create deposits for the governments (sov deposits, a liability to the banks and an asset to the EU governments).

In stage 2, the EU banks sell the sov bonds to the European Central Bank. The ECB buys them issuing Euros, which become an asset of the EU banks. The EU banks have thus seen a change in the composition of their assets: They exchanged interest producing sov bonds for cash. Until now, selling distressed sov bonds to the ECB to avoid losses was a positive thing for the EU banks. However, going forward, as the backstop of the ECB is in place and the expectation of default is removed from the front end (i.e. 1 to 3 years), exchanging carry (i.e. interest income) for cash will be a losing proposition. The EU banks will demand that the euros be sterilized, to receive ECB debt in exchange at an acceptable interest rate.

The sterilization is seen in stage 3: The ECB issues debt, which the EU banks purchase with the Euros they had received in exchange of their sov bonds. Currently, the ECB is issuing debt with a 7-day maturity. Should the situation worsen (as described further below), this will be a disadvantage that could make high inflation easier to set in.

We can see the result of the whole exercise in stage 4: The ECB is left with sovereign bonds, with a maturity of up to three years, as an asset financed by its 7-day debt. The EU banks own the ECB 7-day debt, and need a positive net interest income to profit from the deposits (sov deposits and also private deposits) that support that ECB debt (their asset).

What could go wrong

As can be observed in the chart above, at the end of the sterilization, the ECB is left with two assets which will generate a net interest income: Interest receivable from sov bonds – Interest payable on ECB debt.

If the interest payable on the ECB debt was higher than that received from the sov bonds, the European Central Bank would have a net interest loss, which could only cover by printing more Euros. This would be a spiraling circularity where the net interest loss forces the ECB to print euros that need to be sterilized, issuing more debt and exponentially increasing the net interest loss. This perverse dynamic of a net interest loss born out of sterilization affected the central bank of Argentina, although for different reasons, beginning in 1977. It generated a substantial quasi-fiscal deficit which would later morph into hyperinflation in 1989. Without entering into further details about the Argentine experience, we must however ask ourselves under what conditions could the Euro zone befall to such dynamic. That is the purpose of this article.

As the ECB backstops short-term sovereign debt, two results will emerge in the sovereign risk space: First, the market will discover the implicit yield cap and through rational expectations, that yield cap –having been validated by the ECB- will become the floor for sovereign risk within the Euro zone. The key assumption here is that primary fiscal deficits persist across the Euro zone. Secondly, within that maturity range selected by the ECB for its secondary market purchases (up to three years), the market will arbitrage between the rates of core Europe and its periphery, converging into a single Euro zone yield target.

Now, for simplicity, let’s say that the discovered yield cap, which going forward will be a floor, is 4%. This 4% will be a risk-free rate, which in a world of ultra-low interest rates, will look very tempting. The problem is that the risk-free condition holds as long as the bond is bought by the European Central Bank. In the zombie banking system of the Euro zone, where the profitability of banks has been destroyed, banks will not be able to survive if they pass this risk-free yield on to the central bank, unless….unless the central bank compensates them for that lost yield with a “reasonable” rate on the debt it issues during the sterilization. And no, we are not thinking of 75bps!

What is then a reasonable rate? Well, a rate that leaves a profit after paying for deposits. Yes, we know that that is not a problem today, in the context of zero interest rates. But if the floor sovereign rate for the whole Euro zone converged to a relatively significant positive number, banks would only be able to attract the billions in deposits they lost –which are needed in the first place to buy the sovereign bonds in the primary market- at rates higher than the sovereign floor rate received by the ECB. Why higher? Firstly, because unlike the holders of sovereign bonds, depositors do not have the explicit backstop of the European Central Bank on their deposits, which are leveraged multiple times. The liquidity lines provided by the European Central Bank may disappear at a moment’s notice, which is why money left the periphery to the core of the EU zone. An alternative to the European Central Bank, if the deposits from the private sector did not stop falling, would be to keep lending to the EU banks. But this is not feasible in the long run, given the shortage of available collateral. Secondly, as the yield cap becomes the convergence floor, the market’s inflation expectations crystallize into a meaningful expected inflation rate.

Therefore, should fiscal deficits persist in the Euro zone, it is conceivable that as these so-called Outright Monetary Transactions (OMT) develop, we may eventually see net interest losses run by the European Central Bank. It is clear that a net interest loss would be expansionary of the monetary base, because in order to pay for that interest loss, the central bank would have to print more euros, which would need to be sterilized, increasing its debt and interest losses exponentially. It should be noted that once the market’s expectations adapt to this rate of growth in the supply of money, a net interest gain by the central bank, for whatever reason, would be seen contracting the supply of money and therefore, deflationary!

Having said this, we think that the time frame for such a result would be considerable. It would take years for this to unfold and it is very unlikely that it ends in hyperinflation because Germany and the rest of core Europe would leave the Euro zone before it gets there. We present another chart below, to visualize our thoughts:

Additional conclusions

If we were to see a process like the one just described, it would be very hard for the Fed to engage in an exit strategy that would lift interest rates. If it did, the interest rates both the European Central Bank and the EU banks would have to pay on its debt and to attract deposits, respectively, would increase meaningfully. The contagion risk to the USD zone would be very significant and the Fed would have to “couple” its balance sheet to that of the Euro zone via currency swaps. The segmentation seen today in the Eurodollar market, with Libor being a completely useless benchmark, would only accentuate.

This thesis, if proved correct, is bullish of EU banks in the short-to-medium run (before the private sector collapses in a wave of defaults due to higher interest rates, beginning with the sovereign risk-free floor validated by the ECB last Thursday) and very bullish of precious metals and commodities in the long run.

hermes

• Global Moderator
    • Ver Perfil
« Responder #25 em: 2012-10-02 18:43:24 »
Did the risk-free rate move to Frankfurt?

Published on September 16th 2012

http://sibileau.com/martin/2012/09/16/did-the-risk-free-rate-move-to-frankfurt/

Last week, after the German Bundesverfassungsgericht decided not deactivate the debt monetization program announced by Mr. Draghi a week earlier, the Italian government sold EUR4BN in 4.75% 2014 notes at an average yield of 2.75%. This compares with 4.65% obtained at a sale of the securities on July 13th.

With the European Central Bank backstopping short-term EU sovereign debt (as long as the issuer submits to a fiscal adjustment program), we should see two trends taking place:

The first one, mentioned in our last letter, is that the market should arbitrage between the rates of core Europe and its periphery, converging into a single Euro zone target yield. The Italian auction mentioned above, together with continuous weakness in Germany’s sovereign debt, the movement of capital out of the US dollar to the Euro zone (lifting the Euro to $1.31) and the rally in EU banks, would seem to indicate that this convergence is slowly materializing. The critical piece here, the one that will really nail this coffin, is the return of deposits transferred to the core of the Euro zone, back to the periphery that originated them. This is what’s behind the ongoing negotiations towards a banking union. Ironically, if the banking union was successful, making deposits return to banks of the periphery, it would make it easier for the Germans to leave the Euro zone, because the current imbalances of the Target 2 system would disappear, radically lowering the cost of the exit!

The second trend, the one we missed last week, consists in that –perhaps- we will no longer be able to talk about “the” risk-free rate of interest, when we refer to the US sovereign yield. If the first trend proves true, there would be no reason to believe that the short-term US sovereign yield should keep as low as it is vs. the equivalent EU sovereign yield. For all practical purposes, in the segment of up-to-3 years, the European Central Bank would set the value of the world’s risk-free rate! The big assumption here is of course, that the first trend, above, holds true. Only then, the arbitrage between the US sovereign yield and the EU sovereign yield could be triggered.

What would the levels be, for the up-to-3 year yields? As we know, the European Central Bank will not pre-commit to a yield target. Of course, they don’t want to be challenged, because there is only so much they can sterilize before they start suffering a net interest loss, as we explained last week. But from a dynamic perspective, what counts is not the level, but the driver: In the long run, as the sterilization fails (also explained in our last letter and first proposed back on May 13th, 2010), the short-term “risk-free” rate of interest would be driven by the consolidated fiscal deficit of the Euro zone.

Having said this, the remaining question is what determines the value of the long-term risk-free rate of interest. The Fed, in our view, although not announced last Thursday, will eventually continue to purchase long-term US sovereign debt. Effectively in the beginning, the Fed would set the value of the risk-free yield curve, past the three-year point. When things get out of control and inflation expectations for the US dollar take the lead (in a few years), the fiscal deficit of the US should determine the dynamics of the long-end of the curve….Does that make sense? No! (At least not, if you are not Keynesian) Because if “things get out of control”, we must say good bye to long-term interest rates altogether. That market will evaporate, and the US will only be able to sell short-term debt. At that point, if the Euro zone still exists as we know it, the battle for the ownership of the risk free rate will have been won by the European Central Bank, by definition. Why? Because by definition, if the Euro zone still exists, it is because they succeeded in stabilizing their fiscal problems. Otherwise, the shortening of the term horizon for the US sovereign yield should continue contracting, until hyperinflation completely wipes it out.

Additional thoughts

With these thoughts in mind, one cannot but wonder at the idiocy blindness of those who sustain that both the European and the US central banks removed “tail risks” in the last days, with their new measures. To start, the whole idea that a tail risk exists is simply a fallacy of Keynesian economics. It assumes there is a universe of possible outcomes and, as if humans acted driven by animal spirits, randomly, each one of them has a likelihood of occurring. In all honesty….what else can occur if a central bank prints money to generate a bubble? Why would the bursting of the bubble be called a tail risk, rather than the logical outcome? Why, if that was tried in 2001 in the US, resulting in the crisis of 2008…why would it be any different now, when there is an explicit announcement to print billions per month? Why?

The splitting of the risk-free interest rates, in short and long terms, and the “moving” of the short-term to the Euro zone somehow sadly reminds us of the division of the Roman Empire, between West and East, when the capital moved to Constantinople. Is this ominous?

Finally, as inflation expectations, post the ECB/Fed announcements pick up, the rally in credit (i.e. IG18 credit default swaps index reaching 83bps) is telling us that banks outside the Euro zone or the USD zone -banks which did not benefit so much from a “portfolio” effect-, will have a hard time remaining profitable, unless they take additional risks, or they get themselves the same subsidy that the ECB and the Fed give to their zombie banks. This suggests to us that the Canadian dollar should not rise significantly above the US dollar.

hermes

• Global Moderator
    • Ver Perfil
« Responder #26 em: 2012-10-02 18:43:53 »
On risk convergence, overdertermined systems and hyperinflation

Published on September 30th 2012

http://sibileau.com/martin/2012/09/30/on-rates-convergence-overdertermined-systems-and-hyperinflation/

This week, we want to follow up on some thoughts from our last two letters, where we deduce the impact of the policies undertaken by both the Fed and the European Central Bank (ECB). As well, we provide a few comments on an ongoing debate: Will we ever experience hyperinflation?

Last week, we came up with three important conclusions:

-Conclusion No.1: The ECB backstop generates capital gains for the banks of the Euro zone and transforms risky sovereign debt into a carry product (i.e. an asset whose price is mostly driven by the interest it pays, rather than its risk of default, because this risk has been removed by the central bank)

This is what we wrote on Sept. 10th: “… Until now, selling distressed sovereign bonds to the ECB to avoid losses was a positive thing for the EU banks. However, going forward, as the backstop of the ECB is in place and the expectation of default is removed from the front end (i.e. 1 to 3 years), exchanging carry (i.e. interest income) for cash will be a losing proposition. The EU banks will demand that the euros be sterilized, to receive ECB debt in exchange at an acceptable interest rate…

Where do we stand?

Everyone expects Spainto request a bailout and accept the conditions that would allow the ECB to buy their bonds. In the meantime, someone took the time to measure the impact of the ECB backstops over the past year and came up with a number: EUR9BN in capital gains. On Sep. 20th, the European Banks research team from Barclays published a note titled “Liability management-understanding the rationale”. Barclays estimates that in their liability management transactions on EUR200BN of unsecured debt, European Banks have gained EUR9BN, from lower interest expenses. This of course, came courtesy of the Fed first (remember the EURUSD swaps put in place at the end of 2011?) and the ECB later, with 3-year long-term refinancing operations. The chart below (source: Bloomberg) shows the iShares MSCI Europe Financial Sector Index Fund (ticker: EUFN). The rally that began at the end of July with the speculation on the future actions of the ECB has peaked, awaiting further news.

If we are correct with this conclusion, removing (i.e. buying) the assets backstopped by the ECB (i.e. sovereign debt) from the banks in the secondary market via the OMT (Outright Monetary Transactions), will be expensive to the banks. Why? Because these banks, which after so much misery, end up finding out that the assets they were holding are no longer in risk of default and provide a nice interest, will now have to hand these assets over to the ECB. It would be ok to do this every once in a while. However, the fiscal deficits of the EU countries do not happen every once in a while, but every minute and they keep on growing! Should the ECB seek to make the OMT sustainable as the fiscal deficits of the Euro zone periphery continue, the banks will have to be appropriately compensated. The risk remains then, that at a future, much later date, the ECB faces a net interest loss (between the interest it receives for their sovereign debt holdings and the one it pays to the banks). Under this scenario, the only alternative left will be to monetize that deficit all the way to hyperinflation. But in the meantime, let’s  move to…

-Conclusion No.2: The ECB backstop will set a floor to yields

This is what we wrote: “…As the ECB backstops short-term sovereign debt, two results will emerge in the sovereign risk space: First, the market will discover the implicit yield cap and through rational expectations, that yield cap –having been validated by the ECB- will become the floor for sovereign risk within the Euro zone. The key assumption here is that primary fiscal deficits persist across the Euro zone…

Where do we stand?

It is too early to say anything, as the ECB has not purchased anything yet and the potential secession ofCataloniaand recent protests have delayed (if we are correct) the establishment of a floor.

-Conclusion No.3: The ECB backstop will first push rates within the Euro zone to a convergence (periphery will have lower rates, core will see higher rates). And secondly, will force US rates to converge to the Euro zone rate, if the Euro zone survives the first convergence.

This is what we wrote: “…within that maturity range selected by the ECB for its secondary market purchases (up to three years), the market will arbitrage between the rates of core Europe and its periphery, converging into a single Euro zone yield target….” and “…If the () trend proves true, there would be no reason to believe that the short-term US sovereign yield should keep as low as it is vs. the equivalent EU sovereign yield. For all practical purposes, in the segment of up-to-3 years, the European Central Bank would set the value of the world’s risk-free rate! The big assumption here is of course, that the first trend, above, holds true. Only then, the arbitrage between the US sovereign yield and the EU sovereign yield could be triggered…”

Where do we stand?

Again, with the political struggle between the periphery and coreEuropeand (within the periphery) between the people and their appointed leaders, this convergence has been temporarily interrupted

The charts below (source: Bloomberg) show the convergence that started at the end of July, in 2-yr rates (but can also be observed in 10-yrs, not shown here). In the second chart, we show theUS30-yr yield, which suggests that a bearish trend is building (i.e. higher yields), consistent with our conclusion. Time will decide….

All this would indicate that the key to what’s coming next is simply political, which brings us back to one of the first letters of the year, titled “An analytic framework for 2012”, where we precisely showed the tragic (and spiraling) circularity of enhanced deficits, adjustments programs and coercion by the EU council, backstopped by the actions of the ECB. We reproduce a chart from that letter, below.

As the problem spirals, the actions of the ECB must strengthen: If at the beginning of the year, 3-yr lines of secured lending bought time, by September, “conditional” but unlimited bond purchases were now required. A few months from now, that conditionality will surely be merely a simple protocol. In every turn of this circularity, as unemployment, prices and fiscal deficits grow, so does social unrest. Social unrest therefore is the determinant in this overdetermined system.

To those familiar with Algebra, we suggest that the Ponzi scheme we live in is actually an overdetermined system, because there is no solution that will simultaneously cover all the financial and non-financial imbalances of practically any currency zone on the planet. Precisely this limitation is the driver of the many growing confrontations we see: In the Middle East, in the South China Sea, in Europe and soon too, in North America. That these tensions further develop into full-fledged war is not a tail risk. The tail risk is indeed the reverse: The tail risk is that these confrontations do not further develop into wars, given the overdetermination of the system!

Some final comments on hyperinflation

We have noticed of late that there’s a debate on whether or not the US dollar zone will end in hyperinflation and whether or not the world can again embrace the gold standard. We will not discuss the latter today. With the regards to the former, we think it is still early to talk about hyperinflation. We don’t know when it will take place. All we can guarantee is that there are certain conditions necessary to see inflation spike up and morph into hyperinflation, and such conditions have not crystallized yet. However, there is a high risk at this stage in the game that they do, and we briefly examined that risk for the Euro zone, on September 10th.

Money has two purposes: to store value and to transact. There is however another use of money, which is a derivative of the storage-of-value use. The use of money to repay debt.

Those who demand money to repay debts do not do so to store value or to transact. But as long as there are debts outstanding, there will be a demand for currency to repay that credit. This means that, in order to see such demand diminish, we need to see defaults first, which will along eliminate credit extended in fiat, debased currency. As this process unfolds, the banking system goes bankrupt, is nationalized, and credit is directed towards and centrally managed by the government. This may easily takes years, but it is taking place in the Euro zone right now. The repo market and futures markets die along and central banks end up becoming counterparties in cross currency and interest rate swaps. Once this stage is reached, the private sector is out of the system and fiat money is only demanded to transact. Here’s when the velocity of circulation of money starts to rise exponentially.

As these successive steps are passed, slowly, central banks suffer structural changes in their balance sheets. For instance, let’s take the example of Argentina. At one point, after many devaluations of the peso, the central bank by 1982 had become the main USD swap counterparty for corporate credit. However, to avoid a wave of bankruptcies after the June 1982 devaluation (after the Falklands War), it refinanced USD denominated debt at a 23% lower exchange rate, and in the process sold FX insurance at a cost (for the corporations entering the transaction) of 5%/month, when the inflation rate was 7.9%/month. This was going to be a huge burden that accelerated the deficit of the central bank, which of course was monetized (refer here), unleashing the first high inflation of 1985.

The parallel with the situation in the Euro zone is self-evident: If the ECB starts buying sovereign bonds as fiscal deficits continue, the recent transitory appreciation of the Euro (to $1.3150 was mainly driven by short covering and the capital gains in financials, mentioned above) is not sustainable. In the long run, the intervention of the ECB would only devalue the Euro, creating a currency mismatch for those companies  in the Euro zone that issued USD denominated debt. Thanks to the FX swaps by the Fed and the crowding out of the ECB in favour printing Euros for government debt, these companies are more numerous than they would have been. Therefore, the ingredient for an hyperinflationary process is already present, but we’re not quite there yet…

In the end, by the time the use of fiat money is reduced to its transactional role, central banks run huge deficits, called quasi-fiscal. They have backstopped government debt, money markets, repo markets, future markets and derivatives markets. The interest they pay on their liabilities to sterilize their actions always ends being higher than the one they receive for their assets. And it makes perfect sense: Otherwise, nobody would have asked these central banks to be their backstop! An additional source of fuel for this fire is the so called Olivera effect (after Julio H. Olivera). This is another ingredient to turn a mild inflationary process into hyperinflation. This effect refers to the fact that when inflation reaches a relevant number, it becomes profitable for taxpayers to delay their tax filings, which reduces the tax burden. Governments are thus forced print more money to cover the loss in real revenue they suffer.

The fact that we are still in the early chapters of the story just narrated does not allow us to state that hyperinflation is only a tail risk. The tail risk is (again) the reverse: That all the steps central banks took since 2008 won’t lead to spiraling quasi-fiscal deficits.

hermes

• Global Moderator
    • Ver Perfil
« Responder #27 em: 2012-10-17 11:12:07 »
Em março o Simon Black já tinha mencionado o motim do Panamá contra a inflação importada pelo uso do dólar como legal tender, cf. 1º artigo, agora seguem-se as consequências, cf. 2º artigo.

A dollar mutiny has broken out in the global currency wars

by Simon Black
on March 8, 2012
Panama City, Panama

http://www.sovereignman.com/expat/a-dollar-mutiny-has-broken-out-in-the-global-currency-wars-6161/

I’ve been having breakfast at Cafe Manolo’s ever since I started coming to Panama, going on ten years now. They make the best ‘batido’ ever… it’s sort of like a milk shake crossed with a fruit smoothie. And it used to be ridiculously cheap. Not anymore.

Economists use a term ‘menu costs’ to explain why retail prices are ‘sticky’ and resistant to change. The analogy is that, even in the face of rising input costs, a restaurant owner will resist raising his prices because it costs a lot of money to print new menus.

Apparently someone forgot to explain this concept to Mr. Manolo. Rather than printing new menus, the staff at this once cheap establishment simply scratches out the old prices and scrawls in the new prices.

Without doubt, Panama is becoming very expensive. And if they handed out Academy Awards for inflation, I’m sure the first person that Panama would thank in its tearful acceptance speech would be none other than one Ben Shalom Bernanke, Ph.D.

As you’re probably aware, Panama is a dollarized economy. In fact, since Panama’s independence was engineered by JP Morgan in 1903, the country has never circulated its own currency. Officially, Panama’s currency is the ‘Balboa’, though it has been pegged to the US dollar at parity since inception, and US dollar notes are the only currency in circulation.

In the old days, this was practically viewed as being on the gold standard. Panama has never had authority to print US dollars and expand the money supply, just like currencies backed by gold in the 19th century couldn’t simply conjure more gold out of thin air.

Decades ago when the dollar was actually a respected store of value, Panama’s dollarization really meant something. Today is a different story. Yet while Panama is still unable to print its own currency, Ben Bernanke obviously has no such restrictions.

The trillions of dollars that Bernanke has created over the last few years have made their way into the financial system and reduced the purchasing power of US dollars. Right now this is being felt acutely with respect to fuel prices denominated in USD.

The consequent rising prices hit dollarized countries like Panama very hard because there is no central bank here to monetize the debt and finance populist deficit spending.

Case in point– Ricardo Quijano, Panama’s Minister of Industry and Trade, confirmed this morning that the government’s fuel compensation fund has completely run out of money. In the face of rising fuel prices, the government is now no longer able to subsidize gasoline.

As Quijano said, “We are almost in a national emergency. Oil prices are not going down.”

It seems clear now that the Panamanian government recognizes the challenges of being dollarized and is exploring a number of options to circumvent its limitations.

For example, while the government isn’t able to print US dollars, they do have the authority to mint their own Balboa coins. Only US paper notes are used in Panama, but there are local Balboa coins in circulation of similar look, feel, and value as their US counterparts.

Until recently, the Panamanian government had historically only minted penny, nickel, dime, quarter, and 50-cent pieces… more out of necessity to make change than anything else. Importing paper currency is easy, but importing coins is costly and inefficient.

Late last summer, though, the government began circulating a new 1 Balboa coin, equal in value to $1. Forty million coins were minted and issued at a cost of roughly 25 cents each, netting the government a cool $30 million in the process… not a trivial sum here.

As you could imagine, 2 Balboa coins ($2) are now on the table, making all of this a rather bizarre twist in the global currency wars of competitive devaluation.

The United States can print all it wants, and, at least until now, export the worst of the inflationary effects overseas to those poor suckers in Asia who keep buying Treasuries. Panama cannot export its inflation to the same extent, so rising prices have made a permanent home down here in the tropics over the last few years.

Panama is essentially absorbing all of the downside of being dollarized, but receiving little upside. Minting its own coins constitutes the country’s opening salvo in the currency wars– a mutiny of sorts on the dollar side. Panama is unwilling to take a backseat to Mr. Bernanke any longer and is taking steps to reduce reliance on US dollar hegemony.

If a country as small and US-aligned as Panama is taking these steps, it’s an interesting indication of what will happen in larger, quasi-dollarized places like Hong Kong and Saudi Arabia. Perhaps a “Dollar Spring”?

Panama leader tells Germany he wants to adopt euro

Reuters, 15/10 16:19 CET

http://www.euronews.com/newswires/1692066-panama-leader-tells-germany-he-wants-to-adopt-euro/

BERLIN (Reuters) – Panama would like to introduce the euro as legal tender alongside the U.S. dollar, President Ricardo Martinelli told German Chancellor Angela Merkel on Monday during a visit to Europe.

“In Panama the currency in free circulation is the American dollar and I told the chancellor we are looking for ways for the euro to become another currency of legal circulation and to be accepted in the Panamanian market,” President Ricardo Martinelli told a joint news conference with Merkel in Berlin.

Martinelli provided no details about the switch but he expressed “full confidence” in the German and European economies and said he expected the euro zone debt crisis would soon pass.

Seventeen of the European Union’s 27 member states are in the euro zone but euros are also in circulation in a number of non-EU countries, including Kosovo and Montenegro in the Balkans as well as tiny Monaco and Andorra, and in overseas territories.

Panama’s dollarised economy – almost 10,000 kilometres from mainland Europe – is one of the fastest growing in Latin America, expanding 10.6 percent last year with help from heavy infrastructure spending including the expansion of the Panama Canal.

Financial markets’ fears of a possible meltdown of the common currency have eased since the European Central Bank said it was ready to buy unlimited quantities of sovereign debt to reduce borrowing costs of vulnerable countries such as Spain.

But Merkel, head of the currency bloc’s largest economy, has said Europe needs to persevere with tough austerity measures and move towards closer banking, fiscal and political union in order to secure the euro’s future.

(Reporting by Stephen Brown; Editing by Gareth Jones and Patrick Graham)

hermes

• Global Moderator
    • Ver Perfil
« Responder #28 em: 2012-10-22 13:14:47 »

Article 31

Foreign reserve assets held by national central banks

31.1. The national central banks shall be allowed to perform transactions in fulfilment of their obligations towards international organizations in accordance with Article 23.

31.2. All other operations in foreign reserve assets remaining with the national central banks after the transfers referred to in Article 30, and Member States' transactions with their foreign exchange working balances shall, above a certain limit to be established within the framework of Article 31.3, be subject to approval by the ECB in order to ensure consistency with the exchange rate and monetary policies of the Community.

31.3. The Governing Council shall issue guidelines with a view to facilitating such operations.

Source: http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=CELEX:11992M/PRO/SEBC/31:EN:NOT

hermes

• Global Moderator
    • Ver Perfil
« Responder #29 em: 2012-12-29 18:30:05 »
Artigo interessante do Jim Sinclair.

No entanto o Jim está enganado relativamente às empresas mineiras, se pensa que os donos vão ficar bilionários. Por um lado, as democracias ocidentais não vão tolerar que uma mão cheia de privados tenham a sua impressora privada de dinheiro e os governos vão agarrar com as duas mãos esta nova fonte de receita via royalties [pois já no presente, as riquesas do subsolo "são" de todos]. Por outro lado, os Bancos Centrais do Canadá e da Austrália venderam as suas reservas de ouro quando o LTCM esticou o pernil e actualmente têm apenas 3.4 e 79.9 toneladas respectivamente, pelo que é previsível que os tesouros / Bancos Centrais destes países venham a ter a opção de compra desse ouro [financiada pelos impostos cobrados às mineiras  :D] ao preço de mercado câmbio vigente. Ou seja as empresas mineiras tornar-se-ão utilities com margens de utilities.

The Bright Future of Gold: The Final Solution of the 2008 Monetary Crisis

December 28, 2012, at 7:48 pm
by Jim Sinclair

http://www.jsmineset.com/2012/12/28/the-bright-future-of-gold-the-final-solution-of-the-2008-monetary-crisis/

Dear CIGAs,

Let’s keep things very simple:

1. The future of gold will not be determined by the USA.

2. The present manipulation in gold is purely Western, and any other thought is rank nonsense. This event is both short term and very short sighted in terms of people’s published analysis.

3. The triumvirate of Euroland, Russia and China will determine the future of gold as financial power has shifted from the West towards the East.

4. The strategy of the flushing of Lehman Brothers was to initiate a transfer of failed and to fail debt and debit, producing obligations in all forms from the balance sheets of international banks and investment banks onto the only entity that could mechanically accept them in infinite amounts, the balance sheet of Western central banks. To avoid a total and terminal collapse of Western finance, the US Fed had to take the entirety of the problem onto its balance sheet in exchange for newly created electronic bank wired funds.

5. This cash then simply filled an empty hole that was not visible to a general public because of the willingness of FASB to allow these institutions to call what was worthless as full value.

6. The means of the transfer is presently and was QE.

7. QE was a total success in stopping an absolute economic collapse of the West in an unprecedented economic proportion.

8. QE was for the banks and not for anything else. It filled a black hole made invisible by FASB capitulation to political pressure allowing fraudulent computer valuations. This gave birth to the large equity rally off the bottom in early 2009 within two weeks of the FASB’s capitulation.

9. Because of the nature of QE, the only real economic stimulant was the wealth effect of a roaring equity market. That left Main Street totally out of the equation and did nothing to reverse the long term bull trend in unemployment.

10. Any consideration of an exit formula for the Fed to reduce the size of its balance sheet must take into consideration the quality of the assets that QE has purchased, which is known to have a strong emphasis on paper that truly has and will never have a market. For those assets that do have a market, sales of the dimension of the purchase would certainly impact interest rates in a most alarming way because of the lack of international buying of US Federal debt. All debt markets affect all other debt markets from the loan shark to the US treasury.

11. So there must be a way of doing the necessary in order to compensate for the weak asset expansion of the balance sheet of the Fed and other central banks because there is no exit strategy despite the over-educated academics that would try and convince you otherwise.

12. I am the most practical market related writer in this field. I assure you all talk of an exit program is based on a full recovery to opulent economic times that QE is not designed to produce, nor can.

13. Because the problem at the time of Lehman Brothers was so great, there wasn’t even a good estimate of its size so that QE had to be to infinity. I stated that many years before Bloomberg.

14. Therefore the solution to the present problem that must take place before there is any chance of real economic recovery is that central banks must balance their balance sheet in an economic condition as present and predicted here to remain about the same or worse that permits absolutely no exit strategy.

15. That means that the price of gold as the other central bank asset must rise in the free market significantly so that the balance sheets of the Western world central banks begins to heal and maybe even balance.

16. The mathematics of the price of gold are well in excess of the two magnets now functioning at $2111 and revolving around $4000.

17. Marry this concept to the recent memo of CIGA Belgian and you have the total solution to the present problem that no other mechanism can produce. This will be initiated not by the USA, but by Euroland, Russia and China.

Now add the text of the discussion of earlier this week on the ascendancy of the euro as we enter the final chapter of the Monetary Crisis of 2008 caused by the fraud of OTC derivatives, a crime with many millions of victims and potentially a lost generation. Not one of the major perpetrators suffered corporal repercussions.

Jim Sinclair’s Commentary

This is a brief of discussions within a private self financed research group in Holland.

It demands respect and my gratitude for their contribution of this ever more complicated subject, Gold.

They can be reached at goudstudieforum.com

Jim,

The Asian wealth producers (physical economy) and the major oil and gas owners, sympathize with the euro goldkoncept, that concept being, the market revaluation of gold without any link to any currency. (Remember the Duisenberg Speech.)

Gold, the wealth reserve (so not as a currency), shall be freely valued at the world’s gold auctions. The demise of the old dollar standard and rise of the Gold value standard and reserve.

Real value should be priced in and exchanged for a currency that also values, recognizes and promotes gold as a value standard. That currency is not the dollar, but the € (€ system and regime).

This (brilliant) idea/concept is not new. The early pioneers were Jacques Rueff and Triffin. Read: The Monetary Sin of the West.

Both wanted, but disagreed, to a free-floating gold price (value) during the London Gold Pool period (sixties). Their (Reuff and Triffin’s) point was:

Financial, monetary, and economic global stability by introducing the Gold Value Standard. The Dollar-regime (system) refused and forced the acceptance of the absurd SDR (paper gold).

But the two-tier gold market was born:

Monetary ($)gold and non-monetary gold. Oil and Asians keep accumulating physical gold and the € currency (€-system) that favors Free Floating Gold Value. Stability means that value should be exchanged for value. Currencies that recognize the value of gold as a wealth reserve are worth to buy valuable oil and products. The owners and producers of wealth get the assurance that their wealth can be safely stored as a reserve in free floating gold value, the only appropriate store of wealth.

That’s the running transition out of the non-wealth $-system.

CIGA Belgian

Conclusion to both briefs:

You have all the mechanical parts of the solution to the problem. The progress toward resolving this mess will again make huge profits for the “Good ole boys club,” particularly the Yalies.

Gold will move up in the free market and that is what this reaction is all about. The Canadian Dollar, Swiss and Euro will all benefit. Gold will not be confiscated because it becomes a major asset of the insiders. Gold producing companies with low cost operation will enjoy the leverage common to that industry in what is about occur. The amount of bearishness now developing in gold and certainly in good gold shares is the ultimate contrarian’s dream about to come true.

This is the golden stage. It is so simple it is almost silly, but few if any, really get it.

Respectfully,
Jim

hermes

• Global Moderator
    • Ver Perfil
Re:A mão invisível dos arquitectos do euro
« Responder #30 em: 2013-05-26 17:03:52 »
Kohl confesses to euro's undemocratic beginnings

08.04.13 @ 21:56
By Valentina Pop

http://euobserver.com/political/119735

Berlin - Former German Chancellor Helmut Kohl - the architect of German reunification - admitted he would never have won a referendum on the adoption of the euro in his country and said he acted "like a dictator" to see the common currency introduced.

In an interview from 2002 but published only recently as part of a PhD thesis written by journalist Jens Peter Paul, Kohl said that the idea behind the euro was to avoid another war in Europe.

"Nations with a common currency never went to war against each other. A common currency is more than the money you pay with," he said.

He recalled French President Francois Mitterand - and other European leaders of the time - repeatedly urged him to push through the common currency idea, which was not very popular in Germany.

"They thought - and were right about it - that if Germany doesn't adopt the euro, nobody will. And about the German situation they said: if Helmut Kohl doesn't push it through, nobody else will. Decisions emerged out of this core attitude," Kohl said.

One of these decisions was not to step down and let his popular interior minister, Wolfgang Schaeuble, become chancellor in the 1994 elections. Schaeuble, who currently serves as finance minister in the government of Angela Merkel, would not have been able to push through the euro, Kohl said.

"Schaeuble is a very talented man, no doubt about it, but this was not a matter for a newcomer, you needed someone with full authority," Kohl said.

Germany's chancellor between 1982 and 1998, Kohl said it took him "years" to build the trust and negotiation skills to convince other European leaders of his ideas and push them through.

"And it paid off, for instance in the Frankfurt Bank," Kohl said, in reference to the concession made by France and Great Britain to allow the European Central Bank to be based in Frankfurt.

With political parties springing up in favour of keeping Deutsche Mark and his own Christian-Democrats lukewarm to the idea of the euro, Kohl said a referendum on the matter would have been a lost cause.

"I knew that I could never have won a referendum here in Germany. We would have lost any plebiscite about the introduction of the euro. That is very clear. I would have lost it," he said.

The odds would have been about seven to three against the euro, Kohl recalled. The Social-Democratic opposition would not have come out against it, but also "not gone to the battlefield in favour of the euro, surely not."

In addition, the freshly reunified East Germans, happy to finally have their Deutsche Mark back, would never have voted in favour of abandoning it again for a new European currency.

"In the end, representative democracy can only be successful if someone stands up and says: this is how it is. I link my existence to this political project. Then you get a whole bunch of people in your own party who say: If he falls, I fall too. And then it is not about the euro - it is a life philosophy."

"I wanted to bring the euro because to me it meant the irreversibility of European development... for me the euro was a synonym for Europe going further," Kohl said.

But he admitted that in bringing this idea to life he "was like a dictator."

Asked if he had to accept the euro in return for French support for German reunification, Kohl replied:

"No more war - that was the first message. That was the point for men like Mitterand and Kohl, who in 1984 held hands on the Verdun battlefield. It wasn't about German reunification first and foremost."

Kohl paid tribute to Mitterand's wife, Danielle, who told her husband not to ignore east Germans' desire to reunite with their western brothers.

"On German reunification, Mitterand was torn. The President of the Republic had all the files from Quai d'Orsay [the French foreign ministry] and they were not in favour of German reunification. Better keep them [the Germans] as few as possible," Kohl recalled.

In the end, Mitterand's wife prevailed. The Berlin wall fell and Germany reunited in 1990. Kohl was celebrated as the chancellor of German reunification.

His other big legacy however - bringing the euro to life without enough public support - remains controversial. That the single currency began as a political project without being backed up by an economic union is seen as at the root of the ongoing crisis in the eurozone.

Zel

• Visitante
« Responder #31 em: 2013-05-26 22:33:59 »
a construcao europeia tem sido feita sempre contra o povo e a democracia e em nome de um elitismo bondoso

Kin2010

• Ordem dos Especialistas
    • Ver Perfil
« Responder #32 em: 2013-05-27 01:07:36 »
É no mínimo estranha este constante apelo aos referendos, e o chamar anti-democrático a quem não faz um referendo.

Geralmente, quem defende um referendo com unhas e dentes é quem espera que a sua ideia ganhe no mesmo. Se a ideia tiver mais hipóteses de perder, já não se fala de referendo.

Os Anglo-Americanos estão sempre a chamar anti-democrática à UE por tudo e por nada, e a pedir-lhe referendos por tudo e por nada. Então por que é que os seus governos não fizeram um referendo para decidir se iam invadir o Iraque ou não?

Zel

• Visitante
« Responder #33 em: 2013-05-27 01:26:57 »
o que deve ser ou nao referendado depende dos paises e provavelmente deveria haver muito mais referendos mas pondo isso de parte pois nao tenho paciencia para essa discussao, o que interessa aqui eh que a construcao europeia foi feita contra a vontade da maioria dos cidadaos de varios paises nordicos, paises esses onde referendar questoes de soberania eh normal e faz parte da sua cultura democratica, incluindo a alemanha. e nos casos em que ate fizeram referendos perderam sempre e repetiram com ameacas ate conseguirem o que queriam (e ai ja nao repetiram mais) ou entao simplesmente avancaram com as medidas sem os referendos como no caso do tratado de lisboa que foi uma forma de nao referendar a constituicao europeia que havia sido chumbada em refendo.
« Última modificação: 2013-05-27 01:29:13 por Zel »

hermes

• Global Moderator
    • Ver Perfil
« Responder #34 em: 2013-05-27 10:59:34 »
a construcao europeia tem sido feita sempre contra o povo e a democracia e em nome de um elitismo bondoso

É verdade, foi "contra" o povo nomeadamente contra o curto-prazismo e umbiguismo deste, mas teve e tem um propósito subavaliado pelas gerações mais recentes:

Citação de: Helmut Kohl
"Nations with a common currency never went to war against each other. A common currency is more than the money you pay with."

Kin2010

• Ver Perfil
« Responder #35 em: 2013-05-29 00:46:54 »
Ambrose Evans-Pritchard dá destaque a João Ferreira do Amaral no Telegraph:

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/finance/ambroseevans-pritchard/100024723/portuguese-bestseller-calls-for-euro-exit/

valves1

• Ver Perfil
« Responder #36 em: 2013-06-01 22:02:47 »
Existe aqui uma questao pouco debatida e que se pretende com o facto de a zona euro nao ter uma linguagem unica no mercado laboral.  Por exemplo quem quiser procurar emprego num pais tera que saber as varias linguas maternas sob pena de perder logo 80 p.p das oportunidades. Numa europa muito desigual em termos de distribuicao de oportunidades de emprego nao se devia proibir os anuncios em que seja condicao eliminatoria saber a lingua materna ?
"O poder só sobe a cabeça quando encontra o local vazio."

I. I. Kaspov

• Ver Perfil
« Responder #37 em: 2013-06-02 04:03:55 »

É verdade, foi "contra" o povo nomeadamente contra o curto-prazismo e umbiguismo deste, mas teve e tem um propósito subavaliado pelas gerações mais recentes:

"Nations with a common currency never went to war against each other. A common currency is more than the money you pay with."

Bem observado, sem dúvida!  Em compensação, e infelizmente, há numerosos casos de nações com uma moeda comum em que surgiram as lamentavelmente tão frequentes "guerras civis"...   :-[
Gloria in excelsis Deo; Jai guru dev; There's more than meets the eye; I don't know where but she sends me there; Let's Make Rome Great Again!

valves1

• Ver Perfil
« Responder #38 em: 2013-06-02 09:49:53 »
E ingenuidade pensar que o euro evita guerras.  Na verdade politicas monetarias extremamente restritivas na pratica atira muita gente nos paises pobres para fora da zona euro e para uma situacao pior do que se tivessem uma moeda propria
« Última modificação: 2013-06-02 10:23:36 por valves1 »
"O poder só sobe a cabeça quando encontra o local vazio."

hermes

• Global Moderator
    • Ver Perfil
« Responder #39 em: 2013-06-02 10:32:14 »

Bem observado, sem dúvida!  Em compensação, e infelizmente, há numerosos casos de nações com uma moeda comum em que surgiram as lamentavelmente tão frequentes "guerras civis"...   :-[

Ele está a falar de uma sociedade de nações [exemplo União Monetária Latina] e não de ditaduras [exemplo o Império Austro-Húngaro ou a Jugoslávia].

A existência de uma moeda comum numa sociedade de nações funciona como mais um forte incentivo para se atingir um consenso.